Until you sit down and think about it, it doesn’t seem like there are that many undercover agents in the Harry Potter series. After all, it’s not a spy novel or anything, right?
There are TONS of examples of people working under deep cover throughout the Harry Potter series. Can you name them all?
1. She might be considered a sleeper agent because she is introduced in book 1 and not revealed as a spy until book 5.
2. He’s assigned to track down Sirius Black, but he seems to be pretty bad at his job.
3. He uses his family’s wealth to insert himself in the Ministry of Magic
4. He is more of a diplomat than a spy when he attempts to win over a whole magical species.
5. This creature changes sides more than once in response to the treatment he receives at the hand of his various masters.
6. This man spent thirteen years undercover with the Weasleys.
7. He may win the award for most elaborate disguise used by a spy in the Harry Potter series — he may also qualify for the insanity plea!
8. She kept her special talent hidden so she could get the best scoop on a scandalous piece of gossip!
Let’s try another quiz! This time, you have to be quick on your feet to produce the answers to this “interrogation”! Answers will be posted tomorrow and linked here.
- When Harry walks into the courtroom he immediately recognizes it from the prior use of what intelligence tool that Dumbledore uses often? OP 137
- The hearing was supposed to be in front of only the administrative person in charge of improper use of magic by minors, but through the use of politics two other hearing officers were added. Name them. OP 138-39
- At the beginning of the trial who uses interrogation techniques on Harry to get him to admit to all the essential elements of the crime? OP 140-141
- Who attempts to help Harry during the trial by asking a friendly question, “You produced a fully-fledged Patronus?” OP 141
- At Harry’s trial we find out that the Ministry of Magic has used surveillance and has “always closely monitored” Privet drive, and yet there was one witch who lived nearby the Ministry did not know about. Name that person. OP 143
- After the trial Harry notices someone talking to the Minister of Magic. Name this secret agent of Voldemort. OP 154
- Being a member of a subversive organization, such as the Order of the Phoenix, has risk, just like the risk inherent in spying. Describe what Mrs. Weasley most fears, as shown by her encounter with a boggart. OP 175-76
- When taking the Harry to Hogwarts Express in one of his Order of the Phoenix members escorts is missing. Who? And why was he missing? OP 181
- When they get on the train, who does Harry observe reading a magazine upside-down? OP 185
- What is the name of the magazine? OP 185
- When Malfoy tells Harry that he will be “dogging” him, what does Harry the intelligence analyst conclude? OP 194
Learn what makes a good spy as you explore the world of Harry Potter from an all-new perspective! Beginning today, we will be hosting a weekly trivia game. Each Monday, we will release 10 trivia questions about the spies in the Harry Potter series with information about where to find the answers.
Every Tuesday, we’ll release the answers to our trivia questions, so be sure to check back in to see if you were right!
For now, we’ll start from the end of the series with 10 questions about where it all began — number 4 Privet Drive.
- What is it that makes number four, Privet Drive a safe house for Harry? OP 836
- What was the cover story the Dursley told Harry as to how his parents had died?SS 11
- What is the name of the school that Harry supposedly attended, used as a cover story by the Dursley’s for their neighbors? OP 11
- Name the squib assigned as a sleeper agent to look after Harry when he was at the Dursley’s house over the summer. OP 20
- Name two open-source mediums Harry uses in the summer between his fourth and fifth year at Hogwarts to determine if Sirius Black has been captured. OP 2, 8
- Who was assigned to watch over Harry at the beginning of book 5 but left his post because of a “very good business opportunity”? OP 23
- Name the special communication device that is on Harry at all times. OP 380
- What is the name of the security squad that comes to take Harry away from Privet Drive after being attacked by the dementors? OP 42
- Before Harry is taken from the Dursley’s in book 5 he is asked a security question to make sure he is the real Harry Potter – what was he asked? OP 45
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Tonks used disinformation to get the Dursley’s to leave their home on the evening that Harry is rescued from the home. What did the Dursleys think they were leaving for? OP 48
Do you have any great Harry Potter trivia? Let us know! Answers are in the next blog.