How much do you know about recruitment and handling in the Harry Potter series? Check your answers from yesterday’s quiz to find out! Be sure to tell us how you did in the comments!
1. How did Grindelwald nearly recruit Dumbledore? What ultimately made his recruitment efforts fail?
Grindelwald’s charisma and intellect was attractive to Dumbledore and Grindelwald appealed to Dumbledore’s desire for power. However, when Arianna, Dumbledore’s sister, died, Dumbledore rejected the attempted recruitment and learned humility.
2. Why does Hagrid’s attempt to bribe the giants fail?
The giants are interesting in two things: payment and power. Hagrid’s attempt to bribe them almost works until a different giant becomes the leader of the group and is more attracted to the power the Death Eaters offer him.
3. Why is Dumbledore successful in recruiting Slughorn to teach at Hogwarts in Book 6?
Using psychological analysis, Dumbledore understand that Slughorn loves to take credit for his students’ accomplishments and to take advantage of his connection to them as they gain power and prestige later in life. Dumbledore counts on Slughorn’s need to feel important when he offers the old professor the chance to mentor Hogwarts most notable student – Harry Potter.
4. What device does Mrs. Weasley have to “handle” her large family when they are out of her sight?
A clock that tells her where they are and even whether or not they’re in danger!
5. How does Voldemort ensure that his followers do what he wants them to?
He recruits people who fear and admire him.
Can’t wait to learn more about spies in Harry Potter? Stop back here on Thursday for another spy profile!